Light and fluffy ricotta pancakes brightened up with fresh lemon juice and topped with your favorite seasonal fruit, powdered sugar, or maple syrup.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
3 Tbsp honey
1 cup buttermilk or kefir
3/4 cup whole milk ricotta
1 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of 2 lemons
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp butter, melted
- In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients together, including flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slightly warm the honey, either in a small saucepan or microwave, so that it easily stirs in.
- In a medium bowl, mix the buttermilk, ricotta cheese, eggs, and vanilla using a hand mixer.
- Zest two lemons and then cut in half. Squeeze the juice over a fine mesh strainer to filter out the seeds. Set aside.
- Add the melted butter and warm honey to your wet ingredients, followed by your lemon juice and zest.
- Gently fold your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Use a rubber scraper to gently stir together.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle to medium heat and grease with butter.
- Using a 1/4 or 1/3 measuring cup, scoop your batter onto the griddle, leaving enough room for the pancakes to spread a bit.
- Lower the heat to medium-low; flip once they become golden brown.
- Top pancakes with butter, fresh fruit, and serve with warm maple syrup or confectioner’s sugar.
Preheat your oven to 175º to keep pancakes warm. Be sure to cover with foil.
Keywords: lemon, lemon ricotta, lemon ricotta pancakes, ricotta pancakes