Holiday Cocktails | The Frosted Pine
Get in the Christmas spirit—I mean, spirits—with a fizzy grapefruit holiday cocktail!
Champagne cocktails have long reigned a favorite for holidays and special occasions, but really they’re a simple and great way to add a little fizz to your favorite drink!
Using a few simple garnishes, the Frosted Pine will have you feeling merry and bright in no time. A vibrant grapefruit wheel and sugared rosemary sprig make this cocktail POP with wintry and Christmas feels. It’s so easy, yet looks so fancy!
All you need are a few simple ingredients to get started
• Gin, classic or grapefruit-infused
• Italian grapefruit soda
• Sparkling wine
• Grapefruit, sliced
• Fresh rosemary sprigs
• White sugar
Preparing your garnishes
Cocktail garnishes are integral to a beautiful drink, in my opinion. The truth is, they’re super easy to make!
To make a grapefruit wheel, thinly slice a grapefruit (preferably from the center) and cut it in half. Roll it, as if you’re making a cone shape.
Prepare your sugared rosemary ahead of time using a cup of water, a shallow bowl of sugar, and a drying rack or parchment paper.
Making your cocktail
Start out by ensuring that your sparkling wine is chilled. You can pop it in the freezer for up to 30 minutes, but don’t let it sit too long! Trust me…
Also, stick your flutes in the freezer for about 10 minutes prior to preparation. You can avoid using ice cubes as long as everything is nice and cold!
Prepare your garnishes, including the sliced grapefruit and sugared rosemary. Use the smaller slices of grapefruit to rim your glasses or flutes, and save the larger (center) slices for your grapefruit wheel. Prepare the sugared rosemary about an hour ahead of time to ensure that they’re dry.
Enjoy these fizzy Christmas cocktails for brunch, post present-opening, or in front of the fireplace as a holiday nightcap!
Fizzy sparkling wine and Italian grapefruit soda are paired with Gin and some sweet and festive garnishes!
2 oz. Gin
3 oz. Italian grapefruit soda
1 oz. Sparkling wine
2–4 Grapefruit slices
1 tsp sugar
- Place champagne flute (or similar) in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Slice grapefruit and use the smaller (end) slice to prepare for the sugared rim.
- Sprinkle sugar onto a plate or in a shallow bowl.
- Press the rim of your glass onto the grapefruit slice and roll in the sugar.
- Pour Gin, Italian grapefruit soda, and sparkling wine into your flute.
- Cut the large grapefruit slice in half and roll it into a cone.
- Place the grapefruit wheel into the flute and carefully place sugared rosemary in the center.
- Cheer! Please drink responsibly.