Swapping beef for chicken sausage in this hearty and savory meat sauce and pasta dish.
- Between 3/4 and 1lb of chicken Italian sausage, depending on your preference
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices applewood smoked bacon
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 red onion
- 3–5 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock, separated
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 bay leaf (or 2–3 fresh sage leaves)
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded parmesan
- 1 cup peas, optional
- 1 lb pappardelle, rigatoni, tagliatelle, or egg noodle
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add ground chicken sausage and break apart, cook until it’s just under golden brown and set aside.
- Dice bacon into small pieces and cook over medium heat for about 12 minutes, just under crispy.
- While the bacon cooks, pulse chop the carrot, onion, and celery in a food processor to make the Mirepoix. Once the bacon is cooked, add the Mirepoix to the pot and cook until soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- While the Mirepoix is sautéing, add the chicken sausage to the food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Add chicken sausage to the pot and increase heat to medium-high. Add the white wine and crushed garlic and stir continually for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and add 2 cups of the chicken stock along with crushed red pepper flakes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add half-and-half, bay leaf, and nutmeg.
- Let sauce simmer on low for 2 ½ to 3 hours, stirring often. If the sauce becomes too dense, add ¼ cup of broth at a time until it reaches the desired consistency which should be thick, creamy, but allow for the pasta to absorb some of the liquid.
- Boil 6 qts of salted water and cook pasta al dente, or for 2 minutes less than suggested cook time.
- Remove the bay leaf and add parmesan. If using peas, add them to the sauce now.
- Transfer the pasta to the pot with sauce and stir well.
- Serve immediately and top with a spoonful of parmesan.
Keywords: bolognese, pasta bolognese, italian bolognese, rigatoni, pappardelle, tagliatelle, meat sauce