Apples and spice make everything nice in these sour cream muffins with crumble topping!
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp honey
1/2 cup sour cream or plain whole milk yogurt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp lemon juice
2 medium apples, peeled
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and begin making the crumble topping.
- In a small mixing bowl, add together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a fork, stir together, breaking up any lumps from the brown sugar.
- In a microwavable bowl, melt 4 tablespoons or ¼ cup of butter (about 30 seconds). Pour over the sugar mixture with a small spatula and stir until smooth.
- Add one tablespoon at a time of 1/2 cup of flour and lightly stir with the fork. Sprinkle granulated sugar over the crumble topping, lightly toss with a fork, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whisk well for 30-60 seconds.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla and beat using a hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth.
- Add the eggs and honey, continuing to beat.
- Finally, add the sour cream, buttermilk, and lemon juice until smooth. Set aside.
- Using your peeled apples, dice into small squares.
- In a small bowl, toss with sugar, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients using a spatula or rubber scraper to create the muffin batter without over mixing it. Add half of your apple filling and gently fold into the batter.
- Using an ice cream scooper, spoon the muffin batter into a degreased muffin tray (you should have about four muffins worth of batter leftover). Spoon the remaining apples onto the tops of the muffin batter and gently press down.
- Using a tablespoon, sprinkle your crumble mixture over the tops of the muffins.
- Once you’ve put your muffins into the oven, immediately lower the temperature to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes, rotating tray once halfway. Move the muffins to a cooling rack as soon as they’re ready, let cool, and enjoy!
Divide the muffin batter among two muffin trays to make 16 muffins, utilizing the entire bowl of muffin batter.
Keywords: apple muffins, sour cream muffins, apple spice, spiced apple muffins, muffins